Hudson Tunnel Funding Freeze Ends as Judge Rules DOT Broke the Law

The legal fight that twice threatened to empty out one of the largest jobsites in America is over. Judge Jeannette Vargas of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York on Monday permanently barred the U.S. DOT from withholding federal funds for the $16 billion Hudson Tunnel Project, ruling that the September 2025 payment freeze “flagrantly violates federal law.”

Why the Hudson Tunnel funding freeze failed in court

The DOT halted reimbursements to the Gateway Development Commission last September 30 while it reviewed the project’s federally mandated Disadvantaged Business Enterprise program. Vargas found two fatal problems with that move. The agency never made a formal finding that GDC broke any regulation, and it never gave the commission a chance to appeal. “The September 30 Suspension skipped right to payment suspension without any finding that GDC had violated the law,” she wrote.

Federal grant rules do let agencies withhold money, but only after determining a recipient failed to comply with the law and that corrective measures wouldn’t fix it. DOT did neither, according to the ruling.

What the ruling means for Gateway construction

The stakes were not abstract. Construction briefly stopped earlier this year when reimbursements dried up, and GDC warned in March that another stoppage could hit this summer without a permanent fix. Vargas wrote the project was “on the cusp of a suspension-induced work stoppage that would have eliminated hundreds of jobs, left active construction sites abandoned, and wreaked havoc on the Project’s timeline and budgets.”

That cloud is gone. Seven of the project’s 10 construction packages, including all the required tunnel boring, are now in progress or complete. GDC awarded the latest piece in June: a $711.7 million New Jersey Surface Alignment contract to a Skanska Creamer Sanzari joint venture, following last year’s $1.29 billion Package 1C award. The program schedule still targets putting the new tube under the Hudson into service by 2035.

“Prior to the freezing of federal funding, the Hudson Tunnel Project was on schedule and on budget, and we have made significant progress since federal funding for the project resumed in February,” GDC executive vice president Catherine Rinaldi told Construction Dive.

A precedent other megaprojects will read closely

DOT isn’t conceding the policy fight. A spokesperson said the department “remains committed to ensuring hardworking taxpayer dollars are being spent responsibly and do not fund unconstitutional, discriminatory contracting practices.” But the mechanics matter for every grantee: an agency that wants to pull funding now has a court on record saying it must follow its own process first.

For the contractors sequencing tunnel drives, utility relocations and corridor access windows across two states, the practical takeaway is simpler. The money keeps flowing, and the GDC board meets July 8 with a schedule to defend.

Leave a Comment